Social networking sites have become ubiquitous today. We can see every other individual carrying some smart phone and talking to their friends or chatting with them using certain Apps. This trend is fast catching up in the developing countries as well. In such a situation, it is no wonder then that people are beginning to supplant face to face socialization with the time spent on sites like Facebook and Twitter. Here are top 10 things that people do whenever they are visiting some social networking site and the social psychology behind those acts!
10 things that people do on social networking site
- Checking out the notifications – This is the first thing that most of us will do after signing in. Basically, we want to know what activity has been there in our posts, if anyone has “Liked” any post or comment, if anyone has shared or even commented. We also can get a brief idea of what others have done, like what stuff they have shared. There is a strange competitive feeling about the notifications. First of all, there is the inner urge to read all the links shared; secondly, there is the compulsion to reply to each and every comment.
- Checking out the friend requests – This is something that surely is done by those who do not have too many friends or who do not get too many requests. For those who are already very popular on the internet, those people will get irritated if they get too many requests. This is usually the case with the girls. However, for most boys, the opposite is true – they just want to get friend requests from girls!
- Checking out the News Feed – This gives a general idea of what people have posted. Some posts will appear on the News Feed which were not there in the Notifications as well. This is because the News Feed will also contain those posts which are not made necessarily by those in the Friends List. The posts by friends of friends too will be regularly featuring here.
- Check out the photos by hot friends – There are always some members in the friend list who look hot and there will be the urge to visit their pages and see if they have posted any latest photo updates. Perhaps they have just returned from a party or an excursion in a sea beach. In such cases there is always the chance to get an eye treat.
- Snooping on others’ profiles – Apart from those you are really fond of, there are also some whom you don’t like. You like to keep a close watch on what they are doing. Perhaps they happen to be your peers at college or at the workplace. You have a silent competition with them, like a cold war of sorts! You will feel the rush to outdo them in whatever they are posting.
- Pretend to be a Know-It-All – All of us like to be seen as omniscient. In reality though, most of us are little more than Jack of All Trades. In other words, thanks to connectivity through the Internet, we may come to know about several things but that is only at a superficial level. But while posting updates on Facebook, all of us pretend to be Einstein’s of Physics or Plato’s of Polity.
- Send Friend Requests – Checking out the profiles of unknown persons, as long as they appear to be very attractive or there are a large number of mutual friends, is a common practice. From time to time, we develop the urge to send friend requests as well in the hope of connecting with a new individual.
- Uploading Selfies – Most of us are narcissists. We just love ourselves too much. We tend to remain preoccupied with our looks, our bodily appearance and how people see us so much that we tend to constantly reassure ourselves by getting their appreciation. What better way to do this than to upload some selfies in exotic locations and in immaculately dressed fashion and getting loads of “Likes”?
- Cat Photos – One of the latest attractions has been the cat photos which have absolutely gone viral. There is the Grumpy Cat and other kinds of cats with various expressions and funny comments below them. Kittens, puppies, bunnies are some other animals that are very popular on social networking sites.
- Memes – Without a shred of doubt, the most engaging and creative content that circulates on social media are the various kinds of memes. Ranging from tongue-in-cheek to political memes, celebrity memes to sarcastic memes, there is something for everyone. It would be a mistake to think that making them is very easy, which one may think as there are many meme generating sites. In fact it takes a lot of taxation of the grey cells to come up with a really cool meme.