Here are top ten most amazing facts about India. Have a look!
1. With 1.2 billion people, India is the world’s largest democracy.
Around 1.2 billion people live in India and everyone over the age of 18 has the right to vote. That makes it the world’s biggest democracy. (source).
2. India’s Kumbh Mela festival is described as the world’s biggest gathering.
About 100 million people come to India’s Kumbh Mela Festival, the world’s biggest gathering of humans. (source).
3. Hindu calendar has 6 seasons: spring, summer, monsoon, autumn, winter and prevernal.
In the Hindu calendar of tropical and subtropical India, there are six: Vasanta (spring), Greeshma (summer), Varsha (monsoon), Sharad (autumn), Hemanta (early winter), and Shishira (prevernal or late winter). The six seasons are ascribed to two months each of the twelve months in the Hindu calendar. (source).
4. One Indian Woman Dies Every Hour Because of Dowry.
One woman dies every hour in India because of dowry-related crimes. (source).
5. Breathing the air in Mumbai, for just one day is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes.
Breathing the air in Mumbai for one day is equivalent to 100 cigarettes a day. This year, breathing the air for one day during Diwali was equivalent to 113 cigarettes. (source).
6. The world’s biggest family lives together in India.
The world’s biggest family lives together in India: The man with 39 wives, 94 children and 33 grandchildren. (source).
7. A man married a dog in India as atonement.
An Indian man P Selvakumar has married a female dog, hoping the move will help atone for stoning two other dogs to death. (source).
8. India has the world’s lowest meat consumption per person.
Of the 177 countries included in the study, India consumed the least amount, at only seven pounds per person. (source).
9. India has more mobile phones than toilets.
Far more people in India have access to a mobile phone than to a toilet, according to a UN study on sanitation. India’s mobile subscribers totalled 563.73 million at the last count, enough to serve nearly half of the country’s 1.2 billion population. (source).
10. 70% of all the world’s spices come from India.
India contributes 70% of global spice production. (source).