Decorating your home doesn’t have to take a huge chunk of your budget. You can create your own home decors using everyday items, saving you money and giving you an opportunity to show your creativity. Here are five DIY decor projects you can create by upcycling some old household items.
1. Eggshell Mosaic-Designed Flower Vase
Believe it or not, you can use empty eggshells creatively. If you stick them on an empty spaghetti jar or container, you can create your own eggshell mosaic-designed flower vase. And the great thing about eggshell mosaic-designed vases is that you can design it in whatever way you want. There are numerous designs available online if you are looking for inspiration.
- Container or jar
- Water colors
- Water-based sealer and glue
- Clean and dry the container.
- Spread the glue over a portion of the jar, then add broken eggshells to the glued sections. Completely cover the container with eggshells and then leave it to dry.
- Paint the eggshells using water color.
- Cover everything with a water-based sealer and glue.
- Leave the eggshell mosaic-designed vase to dry.
2. Mosaic CD Frame
This is one way to make use of old CDs that you don’t listen to anymore. Boring picture frames can be remade by using old CDs and creating a mosaic pattern. With this project, you’d have more reason to look and reminisce at old photographs.
- Picture frame
- Old CDs
- Glass varnish
- Craft glue
- Colored glass paint
- Black acrylic paint
- Use glass paint to cover the top of your CDs. After painting all the CDs, leave them to dry
- Once the glass paint is dry, cut the CDs into small square and rectangular strips.
- To emphasize the mosaic tiles, paint the frame using black acrylic paint.
- Use the brush to apply the glue and arrange the mosaic pieces onto the frame.
- Cover the top and side of the mosaic frame with glass varnish. After drying, it’s ready to use.
3. Pendant Shade with Plastic Spoons
Do you love throwing parties at your home? Used plastic spoons do not have to immediately go to the trash bins, as you can reuse them to create an elegant lamp.
- Empty plastic bottle
- Plastic spoons
- CFL bulb (Compact Fluorescent Lamp)
- Glue gun